Saturday, December 26, 2015

Nikkor Lenses

As many of you know, I shoot part of my work on Nikon D800 and all my travel on my Nikon F100.
I got two Nikon bodies and three Nikkor Lenses. I use the 24-70mm F/2.8 G and 70-200mm F/2.8 VRII G on D800 and 50mm F/1.4 G on F100. 

From those three lenses I'd say 70-200mm G VRII is the Sharpest and also the least used Lens in my bag. The reason it is the least used is because of its big size and hard to hand handle for long period of time, don't get me wrong I will not shy away from the lens as long as I have the opportunity to use it. 
In order to use the 70-200mm VR-II, I'll need a full time access to big studio. I don't use it on location because its weight and narrow picture angle for the type of work I do. If I am in location I'd like to show the location and having very narrow view of the place is working against the purpose of shooting in location. 

So in a month or so I'll be selling the 70-200mm and buying 85mm F/1.4 G, but I'm also having mixed feelings because the 70-200 is a very versatile lens, it covers important focal lengths like 85mm, 105mm, 135mm and 200mm. 

I was considering on selling the Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 G and buying the newer Nikkor 24-70mm F/2.8 E VR version when it was first announced but then the reviews of the lens changed my mind. If I am going to pay £600 more for something that I already have, it has to be a VAST improvement over it, and with the newer version I don't see it. 

If Nikon intrudes newer versions of 35mm F/1.4 and 50mm F/1.4 which are optimised for todays high resolution sensors, then I can give my Nikkor 24-70mm F/2.8 G lens a long deserved break in my bag and use 35mm, 50mm and 85mm in almost all of my fashion shoots. But no matter what happens I'll have my 24-70mm in the bag, ready to save the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment