Sunday, April 29, 2012

Photography - Past - Present - Future

We are living in era of technology and information.

With the technology changing and improving really fast and new super functional cameras coming in the market every year, us photographers become really picky with the with the current cameras out in the market.

I read the Flickr discussion boards, and people are just discussing about what their cameras can do, how fast does it focus, how many FPS it has, how much noise it gives at 6400 ISO, and looking at these things as minor problems.

It becomes hard for me to understand them and why are they making such small things in to big problems.

Those of you who remember, know or used old cameras will understand and agree.

Lets look back in the time, when photojournalists were using 35mm film and medium format cameras.

They carried one camera with Color film, one camera with B&W high ISO and other camera with B&W low ISO. They used TLR cameras (twin lens reflex), rangefinder cameras.
They didn't have auto focus system, 12 frame per sec.






My favorite sports photograph is take by Neil Leifer.
He used Kodakcrome and medium format camera without metering built in.


He didn't have any of the advantages of todays technological monster cameras.

This photograph is selling for thousands for print.













Nowadays if such thing is happening like the boxing match, the photographers will capture every frame from the last punch till he falls on the floor.

I am not saying this technology is bad, but this technology makes the value of the photograph less specially if it is on internet (The Digital Wasteland)

Now Look where we were and where are we now. 

We don't need to carry 3 different cameras with us.
We don't need an extra bag of Films.
Camera does the focusing and metering.
Focusing can track the subject.
Now they call 4 FPS a slow camera, seriously what is wrong with people.
When I am using a Sinar I spend 1 to 3 minute on focusing only, then I measure the distance between lens and the film and calculate the exposure change, then load the film and take the photograph.


The discussion that I hate the MOST is when some one says D800 has too much pixels and files are too big I barely shoot 150 images in one card . . . seriously ? I can only shoot 10 photos with my Mamiya RZ67 and 36 frames with my Nikon F100.

Everything is perfect but no one is happy. 

Nikon/Cannon Fanboys instead of comparing Cameras and specs, just be happy with what you got, go out there and shoot.

What is the future of photography?
With the technology being so easy to use, and pushing the limits of photography, every one with a DSLR can come up with good results of photographs, and every one can call them selfs photographers.

Who knows maybe in future, Cameras will cook for us and walk our pets in the park.



2 comments:

  1. I'm a fashion photographer. I'm actually on the point to sell my full frame 35mm DSLR. (Not going to say what brand).
    Reason is, on the retouching process, I spend much more time dealing with those pixels to blend smoothly, I have tried all kinds of things, beautydish/grids/softboxes/window lights/U name it, i've done it to make the gradients smooth.
    Until I shoot with a Medium Format back.
    (Problem solved)
    Then I opt for digital because its now days hard to find a good reliable lab that goes up to speed with my client deadlines. That and the insane cost grow of film, developing and drum scanning takes a good couple of hundrets of dlls, and I would like to keep them. For those simple reasons.
    My problem solver is Medium Format Digital Back on my Rz67 Pro II.
    I do enjoy your blog. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quality. What real photographers can provide is real quality. Maybe Easy Street is closed because the clients are closing, but we will always need images; there will be cheap crap and high quality, position yourself appropriately, use the technology available to reach the right clients.

    ReplyDelete