Thursday, July 11, 2024

Agitation test

 When processing Black and white negative film, there are many developers and film. Often times people overlook the agitation methods. When seeking for the correct way to process film I came across multiple recommendation by film and developer makers and even communities. 

Kodak recommends 30 sec continues agitation then 5 second agitation every 30 seconds whereas Ilford suggests 15 to 30 seconds continues agitation then 5 to 10 second every minute. Then again on the inside of the Ilford film box It states that 10 seconds continues agitation then 10 second agitation intervals every minute, same goes for Kentmere films. 

So I decided to test some theories my self. Although I would not consider these very scientific test since I used Expired film roll and the light was chancing from f2.2 to f2.5 which I adjusted with shutter speed. I wanted to test what happens if over agitate. 

These tests were never in my plans, I was actually testing the light sealing on my cameras and film magazine/backs. Then I told my self why not shoot 2 of these quick test set up I made in my kitchen and see. These tests gave me a rough idea about the over agitation of BW negative film. 

I don't know if I will shoot more test like these since film isn't cheep and processing them individually to isolate them is time consuming but if I do, I'll post it my findings here in my blog and write about it in reddit to get approvals of random internet strangers to feel good about my findings. 


30 seconds then 5 seconds every 30 seconds
30 seconds then 5 seconds every 30 seconds interval 

In the photo above I agitated for 30 seconds then again for 5 seconds every 30 seconds. Considered to be normal or one of the acceptable methods. This Produced close to accurate results both in test photo and also in rest of the roll it is apparent that the film was expired in a non gracious way (out of fridge). 


60 seconds then 30 seconds every 30 second interval 

On this photo above, I agitated the film for 1 minute then 30 seconds every 30 second intervals. It is noticeably more grainy and the shadows/blacks are loosing more detail than the previous photo. 

Kodak Tri-x 400 shot at box speed and processed in Kodak Hc-110 


No comments:

Post a Comment